Friday, September 24, 2010

Matchless

I picked up this hat some months back, visions of Easter bonnets dancing in my head.  And then i found that i had a heck of a time finding anything to pair with it: it's a straw hat, which says "casual" - but then it's trimmed with Guipure lace and hefty rhinestones, both of which say "dressy."

I'm currently leaning toward something fit-and-flare, made up in a cotton, perhaps a plain sateen, or a tiny floral print on a nice lawn.  Dress trimming might involve lace and/or rhinestones - i recently saw a '50s dress in a casual print trimmed with rhinestones (can't for the life of me find a link to the blog post now, of course), which almost has me convinced, and i'm not generally a fan of rhinestones.  I thought about pintucks, but the lace motif is so swirly, i'm not sure the strong straight lines of pintucks wouldn't fight with it.



It plainly needs some remedial steaming, and unfortunately, it looks like the veiling is past saving, and will need to be replaced - i'm holding out for silk veiling.


So what would you match with this hat?  Bonus points for sharing good sources for silk hat veiling!

No comments: