Monday, August 9, 2010

Long awaited...

I'm reluctant to say how long i've been muttering about making this dress, but after lots of starts and stops, it's finally done. Might do it again, but not without some more tinkering with the pattern - it's Folkwear 107, the Afghani Nomad Dress.  I'd like it a bit longer, for one thing.  It says ankle length, but it was nowhere close, even before hemming - and i'm only about 5'4" so there's usually more length than i need.  I'd want to nudge where a few of the seams land, just a bit.  But i'm really happy with the colors, and the way the fabrics behave.  It will be fabulously twirly for dancing, and perfect for wintertime in the stunning but unheated Spanish Ballroom...

The bodice is an allover eyelet worked on a linen, and the sleeves are rayon velvet and a linen damask.  The skirt back patch, underlining, and assorted other small bits are cotton.  The main part of the skirt is a rayon challis, and lots of it.  Five full widths, for a hem that's in the neighborhood of seven and a half yards.

2 comments:

KarinSF said...

This is super Suzanne! so great to see something you've been working on and Tweeting about!
You are encouraging me to post pics of my own dresses that I am in the process of sewing, derived from vintage patterns (some purchased from fripperie!)
Wedding season is a long one here in San francisco, but I hope to have time soon to work on my own projects and show off the results.
I think I may need to start a blog for this though!

Fripperie said...

Aw, thanks! And i'd love to see some of the things you're working on, especially some of the patterns from Fripperie! If you start up a blog, send me a link, or you can always post pictures on the Facebook page, at: www.facebook.com/fripperie